Monday, July 5, 2010

A quick update

Well time flies when you’re having fun which I think is what is happening. For the most part I am certainly enjoying my experience here. We saw the classroom that we will be teaching on Thursday. The room is great and my Corps Member Advisor, basically the TFA person who is individually responsible for me, knows the teacher who will be observing us throughout the month. There are three people in my teaching collaborative. We are an interesting combination of folks and I’m not sure how good we will be working together with all of our different styles, but only time will tell. This weekend I caught up on sleep. I got about 9 hours of sleep Friday night and then I hit 15 hours on Saturday night. That was not really intentionally. I fell asleep at 8pm without setting an alarm to get up to go to church. Oops. I slept till 11am the next day. Last night (the 4th of July) a group of us went down to a park to watch the fireworks. While the fireworks were great, for some reason I just don’t enjoy fireworks as much now as I used to. Perhaps I am a little bit less of a pyromaniac now? Tomorrow is the first day that we have in the classrooms. I will get to meet my students and get started on assessments and explaining classroom policies and procedures. I am anticipating life getting harder here, but who knows, maybe I just led too busy of a life back at Whitworth and what some people think of as busy I just see as common place.

I’m still waiting to hear about placement info which is a little bit frustrating. I haven’t had any interviews so far, but I am told it is just a matter of time. Once I get hired by a school I will begin the great apartment hunt. Doing this in the big apple is likely to be the most stressful part of this whole experience. I have never gone apartment hunting before and the idea of spending more than one thousand of dollars a month on rent just stresses me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment