Thursday, July 22, 2010

One week left...

I have almost made it through Teach For America Institute. The five week crash course on teaching that does the best it can to prepare me for a classroom this fall. I have to say that from my perspective the whole thing was a little bit more hyped up than I expected. I was told multiple times that this would be the hardest thing that I would ever do and I have to say that I don't think it is. Then again, when I look at other times in my life I feel as though I have been more challenged. I really can't think of anything that compares to the month that I spent washing dishes in "the pitts" at Frontier Ranch. Those were some hard days will lot of work and little rest as well. I also probably helps that I have had at least some experience working with kids at camp. While a cabin of ten fifth graders for the week is not quite the same as teaching a classroom, I do feel much more comfortable with managing children.
All is well on the hiring front for most TFA folks. We just found out today that 71% of the NYC Corps have been placed at this point (small party). At this point the lucky 29% of us (big party) who are still up in the air are just waiting for the next interview and potentially the next call/sticky note/text message to tell us that we got hired. Yes someone did really learn today that they were hired via sticky note from an assistant principle. It might be sort of cool to have that be how I get my first official job offer. While it is a little frustrating to be on the unhired end of the statistics, last year at this point only 31% of the corps members were placed so we are actually not in a bad position at all.
My fourth graders are great. Today we awarded the first of our 'Rock Star' prizes. Through class students have the opportunity to earn high notes. When they receive twenty five high notes they then get a photo shopped picture of themselves with the celebrity of their choice. Today one of the kids got a picture with him and Michael Jackson. Next week we have kids getting pictures with Madona as well as two Japanese cartoon characters that I can't remember the names of. It is amazing what silly incentives can do to boost a kids spirits.
I am trying to learn how to think like a fourth grader, I have to admit that it is harder than I would have expected. How do you explain to a kid who is struggling with rounding that any number that is equal to or greater than five means that you round up. I thought it was pretty straight forward, but when one child can't figure out that you don't round up with a four or down with an eight it can be hard to come up with more ways to explain. Using manipulatives can help, but they can also confuse the kid even more. Well it just show that I have a lot to learn. Next week I get to teach multiplication of two digit numbers by two digit numbers with regrouping as well as division of two digit dividends by one digit divisors with and without remainders. While I don't really have a problem doing the math myself, explaining the process and understanding why we do things the way we do is something I haven't thought about since I was in fourth grade. I get to learn right along with these kids. I have so much more respect for all of my teachers and the time and energy that they put in. I always thought that teaching was a fairly easy job for most teachers. Well I was wrong.
This weekend I am going to try to enjoy myself a little bit. I also get to spend some time each day with a different friend from home. :)
If you want me to send you a picture of some of my kids awards (their pictures with celebrities) shoot me an email. I'm not supposed to post them for the sake of confidentiality. The best email to reach me at is thamilton10@my.whitworth.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment