Sunday, June 27, 2010

The last weekend of fun

Induction is now done, which is both happy and sad. It is exciting looking forward to institute but also terrifying. Long days and lots of hard work are ahead. Nothing extremely eventful has happened the last few days outside of some great discussions about special education and also diversity. I did rip my black dress pants yesterday…while sitting down next to one of the program leaders. Oops. That means that this weekend also gets to be a bit of a shopping experience in Manhattan.

Friday after institute finished up I That night we went down to the pier and got to check out downtown Manhattan at night. The city has all sorts of stuff set up for the world cup which was pretty sweet. On the way back up I upset a man in the subway. By upset, I mean be for some reason decided that the group I was with was too loud so he began to scold me about my ability to speak. He said that I would never win a Pulitzer Prize if I didn’t sound better spoken. Overall my diction was acceptable, but I said the word I think too many ****ing times. After about fifteen minutes he got off the train. I guess I don’t really know what experiences I will have on any given day.

Saturday I spent some time at a flea market down in Brooklyn with a couple of friends. I then had my first NYC bagel. We looked at apartments in the area as one of the girls in the group hadn’t been placed yet. I am hoping that I will be placed soon. About half of the folks at TFA NYC have their placements already and I have only met a few who like me haven’t had any interviews yet, but patience is a virtue. I went to bed early because I needed to be up early to head downtown for church.

Ruthie and I went to a church called Redeemer Presbyterian on the west side of Manhattan. It was right next to central park. The church was a bit more traditional in the way the service ran than I am used to. Overall I liked it very much, not sure if I will end up back there for the rest of Institute since it takes a little bit longer than an hour to get there on the subway. We start inductions tonight. From this point on I will be wearing ties every day. Yuck. I can appreciated being professional, but in this heat I might get to me a little bit more than it normally would.

1 comment:

  1. Tyler! I got to Redeemer on the East Side! :) Sunday night at 6. We should meet up this weekend and do something fun! I was thinking about a trip to Staten Island to hike Todt Hill (the highest point on the Eastern seaboard, south of Maine). Hang in there! It all gets easier with time!

    ReplyDelete