Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Day Before

Well I'm not quite sure how I feel about the whole blogging experience, but since I do know that I follow my friends on their blogs I figure it's only fair that I create my own as well. The goal in this blog is to catalog my future adventures as they unfold. I will be flying to New York City tomorrow night to take the first steps towards teaching this coming fall. My hope is to have at least a brief update on a weekly basis. In reality, I am hoping to stay in contact with friends outside of this blog and not through it.
I started thinking about Teach For America back in October of this year. I originally dismissed the program because I was focused on other options and the representative that I met with rubbed me the wrong way. Through my experience in South Africa during January and a number of conversations with people who I respect greatly, I chose to apply for the program this spring. I applied without thinking that I would actually get accepted and when I received my acceptance I yell at my computer. My frustration in being accepted had more to do with my desire to not have to make a choice than it did we with me not wanting the job. After prayer and conversation I chose to accept the offer I was given by TFA. My original placement is in (1-9 Special Education) but I am also being considered for (1-6 General Education).
Today looking at leaving home for the foreseeable future I am beginning to second guess this decision. I don't know what to expect and that scares me senseless. I love being in control and knowing what is going on around me. I guess that this is probably a good time to learn. My prayer is that God will help me as I enter this new environment in finding friends, support, housing, and just about everything else that I am not anticipating at the moment. Inductions start on Tuesday and training begins next Sunday. I am excited and terrified about this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment