Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Back to the blog

I wouldn't have expected gas to be a problem in an all girls class. But hey, I guess everyone does it. So I fail epically at updating this blog. Here are the things that have gone on in the past few weeks.

Improv Everywhere event. So I participated in a giant flash mob in Manhattan which consisted of about three thousand people doing all sorts of random things in stores and in a park. There is a video of the event here: http://improveverywhere.com/ Sufficient to say, it was one of the most unique experiences of my life. Being surrounded by people I had never met before doing things that you normally wouldn’t do in public was a blast. We had a gift exchange and I received a brand new copy of Pan’s Labyrinth. After that we (Matt, Mollie, and Robbie a TFA friend) went to Brooklyn to see a program called digital graffiti. It had a hippie/bohemian feel to it. There were all sorts of extremely obscure art. One of my favorite things that I saw was a woman on stilts with long flowing white robes dancing in front of a projector that kept changing. A local gym was also open and had all of its bouncy equipment set up which was quite fun. All together it was a really fun totally free night out in NYC.

By the way…major props to anyone who reads through this whole thing. In other developments I now have a new roommate. She just moved in. Her name is Simone and she was born and raise here in NYC. Matt and I are both exited to see how things work out. (cheesy intro) When it comes to working out I have now joined a gym. The sad thing is my biggest motivation for actually working out is the fact that I am paying for it. I am only paying ten bucks a month, but it is still hard earned money coming out of my pocket.

For one of my three day weekends I traveled to Baltimore to visit my good friend Joy. She has been doing TFA there for the last year. It was really great to meet up with her and her friends and just have some fun relaxing. Every time that I get to see people who I know from back home I cherish. It is not that I don’t enjoy the people here, but there is so much that they don’t know about me yet and so much that they don’t know how to relate to that I do miss home quite a bit. (Home qualifies as both Spokane and Fircrest in my book).

My students are so great, even the ones who throw desk across the room and the ones who put holes in the smart board, because each and every one of them is just a kid who is looking for attention. While I do have some days where I am frustrated, for the most part I come home each day pretty happy with what we’ve accomplished. If only there were more time. The bummer about being the only math teacher at my school is that I students only get one period of math a day as opposed to the double periods of social studies and English they receive. I feel that especially with math the more practice my kids get the better.

I’ll try to be more on top of updates. I promise myself that now, but we will see when I write again. For anyone out there who is feeling bored for some reason you are more than welcome to give me a jingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment